Sunday 22 September 2013

Author Interview with Maureen Mayer


1- What made you decide on writing this book? What inspired you?

I’m an avid reader, and this past year I decided I wanted to write a book of my own. Problem was...I had no idea what to write! I would literally sit there and try to force the ideas to come out, but they just would flow. Little did I know, all I had to do was sit back and wait for the idea to find me. I was sitting at home one day thinking about my life and certain aspects that I wish were different or that I could change, and that’s when it hit me. The initial spark that triggered the idea for Relinquishing Liberty was the thought of just running away from everything and making a fresh start. That’s where Liberty came in. She was just screaming and begging to come out and tell her story, so that’s exactly what I did. I let her write the story…I was just simply her instrument.
I also owe a lot of authors credit for inspiring me because if it weren’t for them reigniting my love for reading, I never would have written Relinquishing Liberty.



2- When you pictured the characters did they reflect anyone particular
in your life?

I definitely see a bit of myself in Liberty’s character, but I think the one character who reflects the most qualities of someone in my life is Shayne. It wasn’t until I finished writing the book that I realized he is so much life my boyfriend, Michael. He came into my life when I least expected it, and he is by far my missing puzzle piece.


3- If you could meet any of your characters who would it be and why?

I’d have to go with Maddie. She is such a little spitfire and has such a great sense of humor. She says what she wants and doesn’t hold back. It’s impossible not to love her! I’m sure she’d drive me insane at first, but I could definitely see myself getting along with her.

4- Tells us a bit more about Relinquishing Liberty, what are the main key points in the book?

Relinquishing Liberty is about a young woman forced to give up the life she once knew so she can take care of her parents, who have yet to learn how to cope with her brother’s suicide. Liberty is left to pick of the pieces, and after four years of having to put her own life on hold, she finally decides she’s had enough. She’s ready to take back control of her life and makes the decision to up and leave everyone and everything she’s ever known in order to make a fresh start. When Liberty arrives in Savannah, she meets Brett and Maddie, who slowly begin to break down the walls that she had built up after her brother’s suicide.
The last thing she expects is to fall for the reformed player, Shayne Thompson, but soon she discovers they have a lot more in common than just a physical attraction. A secret from Shayne’s past is revealed, and Liberty begins to question everything she’s ever felt for him. She is forced to choose between following her heart and giving up the one person who finally made her feel whole again.

5- What was the hardest part of writing Relinquishing Liberty?

A lot of authors say the hardest part is writing the actual book itself...and it was. I hit a road a block when Liberty decided to give me the silent treatment, and within the four months that I wrote Relinquishing Liberty, I probably spent at least a month not writing anything at all. It was extremely frustrating, and there were so many times that I just wanted to scrap the idea and give up, but everyone who has been supporting me since the very beginning continued to push me through, and 101,400 words later, Relinquishing Liberty was finished.


6- Are you planning on writing any more books? If so would you like to give us a clue to your projects?

Absolutely! As of right now I have plans for at least three more books. I’ve just begun working on the second book in the Second Chances series, Unforeseen Heartbeat, which is Maddie’s book. The third book in the series, which is currently untitled, will be Brett’s book. After that I plan on writing a stand alone book that will also fall into the new adult genre. Hopefully I’ll get inspiration for more books along the way!



A massive thank you for Maureen Mayer for taking the time to speak to us about her book Relinquishing Liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...