Tuesday 18 March 2014

ARC Review: The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

The Geography of You and MeThe Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: April 15th 2014
Publisher: 
Headline (UK)

Source: Netgalley
Pre-Order: Amazon | Book Depository
Goodreads Summary

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father. Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.


A love story that started off in an elevator, under the stars on a roof and got mapped out over America and Europe with postcards saying Wish You Were Here.

He was just a boy on a roof. She was just a girl in an elevator.

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building during a citywide blackout. After being rescued they spent a night together in the agonising heat and darkened streets looking up at the stars above Manhattan. However as the lights come back so does the reality and soon Lucy moves over to Edinburgh and Owen and his father take the road and travel across the country. Not seeing each other for months with hardly any contact but a few postcards and emails.

What I love the most about this book is that this isn’t one of those romance orientated teen books where everything is perfect and happy. Lucy and Owen have the space to grow apart and breath. They were able to grow into their own characters and be able to tell their own story rather than being a couple in a book that’s always together joined at the hip. I didn’t particularly understand why Owen and Lucy had to both be so sociably awkward; I loved Lucy and how much of a bookworm she was and I liked Owen liking his own space after his mother dying but it felt like they were massive loners and just didn’t want to talk to anyone which is just silly.

Nine months ago, he’d met a girl in an elevator and she’s been on his mind ever since.”

Jennifer managed to create a relationship between two people who were separated by thousands of miles and yet still managed to think about each other wherever they went; proving that distance is only mapped out and can be overcome. This book was really sweet and cute but it was in such great doses that I didn’t feel gross after reading it.

The writing is amazing! I can’t even express how much I love Jennifer’s writing. This isn’t one of those soppy boring teenage stories.

This is the first book that I’ve read by Jennifer E. Smith so I wasn’t too sure what to expect but I saw that John Green was a fan of this particular book so I was pretty much sold.

Note that these quotes have been taken from an uncorrected proof and may be subject to change



20 comments:

  1. Jenea Whittington18 March 2014 at 12:24

    I haven't read anything by Smith, but I think I need to start with this one. I'll keep an eye out for it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bookworm as MC always gives me an instant connection :D I actually think I will really like their social awkwardness, because I can relate to it (unfortunately) This book sounds very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this book Paulina, I've read two of Smith's books previously and they've just been okay for me, so I'm hoping that I will enjoy this one a lot more! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay so happy you liked this one! I read 2 other books by this author and I adored them both. I love how she writes relationships and characters and it seems like this one is no different. I can't wait to see Lucy and Owen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I have this one on hold at the library and have been waiting patiently (or not so patiently!) I loved her other books so it's awesome to know that this one is just as good. The concept sounds so interesting and the best part is it seems like it just works, even though your original thought is that it wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this sounds like an awesome book! I have two of her books but haven't read them yet. I might just pick it up soon since this one sounded great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do it! I want to hear what you think of the other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yay! Be patient for a little while. It's worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy this one too! I can't wait to read her other work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you give this one a try. It's great and I'm getting a physical copy as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The awkwardness was just too much! I usually can relate but now with this one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! You should do it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maja (The Nocturnal Library)21 March 2014 at 18:51

    I've only read one of her books, the first one, but it didn't work for me at all. I was very disappointed. Then again, I really don't read or like contemporary, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
    I'm glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read any books by the author and I definitely would like to start with this one. This sounds really like a cute read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard soo many good things about Jennifer Smith's books but I haven't had the courage to start one yet because I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations! I have this book on my Kindle so I think I'll FINALLY begin it after reading your review of it! Great review :)

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a great and cute read, and not overly sappy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to read her other work so I can compare! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! Yeah it's worth a read so defo check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY! I can't wait to see what you think of this one! I have heard so much about The Statistical Possibility of Love at First Sight and I really want to read it but don't want the high expectations to ruin it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The ending is quite sappy but cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...