Monday 30 September 2013

Defiance by C.J. Redwine


Title: Defiance
Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Defiance #1
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Date Published: August 28, 2012


Goodreads Summary
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan–the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.
At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

I cannot write a proper review like thing for this. This is going to be mainly thoughts and a rant of sorts.
I liked the idea of this book but this book didn’t work out for me. I feel so disappointed! I was excited to read this book.. so excited and all my hopes for this book were shoved down a hole and buried alive.
Everything about this book appealed to me when I read the summary. It sounded so perfect! But after a few chapters, I had to force myself to get through the book.
For starters the romance popped out of nowhere, I don’t mean that they aren’t perfect for each other or anything. It’s just that it was so random. There was no time for it to develop. They both come to a creepy realization that they are in love, this happens when they are away from each other. Don’t ask me how that works. I don’t know. The short time they are together in the beginning of the book, Rachel hates him, because of course she told him she loved him (this was when she was 15) and he told her to get lost (not literally but you get the idea).
First we are told Logan rejected her and then Logan says he has always liked her. Confusing. Logan wasn’t that bad actually, he was pretty clever and nerdy and I always love reading about nerdy love interests, but oh my god, he was creepy. He was threatening her SO MUCH! Like what is she? 5 years old? She can take care of herself thank you very much. For example:
“No. You’re lucky I’m not wringing your neck.”
You say stuff like that and then claim to love her, I don’t see how that works. Also the feminist me screams at how women are shown in this world, always looked down upon.

The author may have been trying to achieve the whole kickass female lead with Rachel by making her different and willing to break the rules but Rachel was seriously annoying. There is this point in the book where Rachel is whining about loss, I get the point but she should have been stronger instead of trying to sink into a hole. She thought she could be angry and avoid the pain. She did some of the most horrible things in that period of time without thinking twice.
I had actually kind of liked Logan in the beginning like I mentioned but then there was the creepy thing. There was also the jealousy thing. That pissed me off because I was hoping that Logan would be the sane guy (seeing that Rachel has nothing better to do then whine about loss and couldn’t even make her mind up about anything except her HATE) and appreciate Quinn and Willow’s help but instead he is jealous *face palm*. Doesn’t even thank them.
The plot wasn’t that bad but I would have been able to appreciate it more had the characters been better. There were some interesting things going on but it wasn’t much of a dystopia.
I get the feeling the sequel will have a love triangle in it but seeing how this book turned out, I don’t think I’ll read the sequel.
Don’t let my opinion about this book keep you from reading it though, a lot of people loved it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...