Friday 2 August 2013

Mini Reviews: The Best Man by Kristan Higgins and The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Title: The Ask and the Answer
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: Chaos Walking #2
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date Published: May 4, 2009
Buy: Amazon
Battle not with monsters

lest you become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss
the abyss gazes into you 

Patrick Ness is a genius.

I’ve read quite a bit of Dystopian novels and I am pretty sure this is the best. A lot of the Dystopian novels these days are about people finding that their lives have been a lie and them trying to take the government down. Nothing more. Ness explores human nature and how war can make monsters out of men. It really is amazing. I’ve felt all kinds of emotions while reading the series. From joy to sorrow to anger. He explores so much about human nature its amazing. The relationships in this series are so genuine. You really can see how far people will go for power.

I am scared of reading the next book because as amazing as this one was, it was also terrifying. I don’t like wars or violence. It’s what makes me and Todd similar. We couldn’t kill to save ourselves unless someone we love is directly threatened.

This is a book full of lies with no wrong or right. The reality of OUR society. This isn’t a book for everyone. Some people won’t be able to keep up with it, others won’t be able to stand all the torture. But in the end this book is one of a kind.





Title: The Best Man
Author: Kristan Higgins
Publisher: Harlequin
Date Published: February 26, 2013
Buy: Amazon
This is a book by Kristan Higgins. Why would I not read it? I discovered Kristan Higgins rather recently and in the short span since I’ve discovered her, I’ve read almost every single book by her. Yes I am obsessed with her. So when I found out that she would be releasing a new book this year I was immediately on board.
I am happy to say I am in love with this book, like the rest of her others. It has all the elements she usually has, a dog, a guy, romance, some family issues. Yup that about covers it.
What is it that makes her books different? I think it’s how she puts everything together. Her books aren’t only about romance, but, somewhere along the way about self-discovery and learning from past mistakes. Her characters are always relatable and she never has too much drama. Just enough to keep us interested.
I love Faith’s relationship with her family and I love how she is finally able to face Jermey after 3 years. From the summary it seems as if Jermey is a jerk, but he isn’t. He was one of my favorite characters and from the little flash backs it’s so obvious how this revelation allowed him to open up to people more. I also love Levi, he is a complicated person, his wife left him because she got bored so he has been hurt by that and he is obsessed with taking care of his little sister.
This book is one of my favorites by her right after My One and Only, I recommend to everyone who loves chic lits. You don’t know awesome (with relevance to chic lits) until you have read Kristan Higgins.
(said like a true fangirl)



1 comment:

  1. Great reviews! Both books sound interesting in their own way. I'm glad you had two great reads close together, that doesn't always happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...