Monday 12 August 2013

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh


Title: Enshadowed
Author: Kelly Creagh
Series: Nevermore #2
Publisher: Atheneum Books
Date Published: August 28, 2012
Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary

Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dream world — a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen’s creation, is the only one who can save him.
Isobel knows that her only hope lies within a Baltimore cemetery. There, in the early morning hours of Edgar Allan Poe’s birthday, a mysterious stranger known as the “Poe Toaster” will make his annual homage at the legendary poet’s grave.

Only the Poe Toaster holds the key to the way between worlds. But even greater dangers lie ahead for Isobel. An ancient evil, draped in veils of white, is watching, challenging her for Varen’s affections. When Isobel finally finds Varen, he is no longer the quiet and brooding boy who once captivated her, but a dark force, powerful and malevolent.




“Is — is any of this real?” she asked. “Are you real?”

He lifted a hand to her cheek, his fingers brushing her jaw.

“Even if this is a dream,” he whispered, “I’m not.”


Kelly Creagh if I were a poet I’d be writing an ode to you. In your series you have managed so much. YA has constantly disappointed me yet I continue to read it and I am glad I do, otherwise I wouldn’t find gems like Nevermore. 
The first book left me begging for more and I was glad I had discovered the book after the second book had released. I wouldn’t have been able to wait to read the next book after that cliff hanger. Sadly I didn’t discover this book before the third book released. Despite the kind of ending the author left us with I think I’ll survive. I want Kelly to make the last book the best thing ever because this book deserves the best ending.
I wanted to give this book a four because I was deprived of my Varen for most of the book and he does happen to be my favorite character. But I couldn’t. The book is too amazing for me to do that.
It gets points for amazing best friend, great parents and most of all good female lead.
Isobel again shows character development. I love how she doesn’t give up. Yes sometimes she is too goal oriented and doesn’t see the amazing friend she has in Gwen. Which does bother me but despite this I still love Isobel. What I like about her is that she doesn’t go into a state of depression after that ending. Yes she is sad and she doesn’t concentrate as much but almost immediately after leaving Varen behind, she is trying to DO something. She isn’t just sitting on her ass whining about how she is a horrible person and how she left Varen behind. I am glad for this.
I also love how she loves her parents. She feels bad for what she is doing to them. She hates that they are hurting because of her. She recognizes this despite her own pain and I love her for that.
I think one of my favorite parts in the book is when she is telling her father she is sorry and that she will come back soon. She doesn’t want to have to trick her parents.
Yes I think a lot of people will find this book slow but I find is mesmerising. I love how the author makes connections between the first and second book with certain lines and scenes. 
The ending. Ah the ending. I have to talk about it don’t I?

Kelly Creagh. You are messing with my brain. How do you simultaneously create an ending that is both beautiful AND heartbreaking. I knew it was coming because well were it not to happen I would have been disappointed. Yes it’s was heartbreaking but  were it not the way it was it would be a VERY easy answer to their problems. It wouldn’t make sense. When trust it lost you cannot gain it back in a second.

It broke my heart into a many pieces but it was the Epilogue that left me feeling hollow and numb. Seeing Varen like that broke my heart into tiny little pieces. The Epilogue was perfect though. I had goosebumps while reading it and my heart was breaking at the same time. How do you do that Kelly Creagh?
What’s your secret?
What’s the special ingredient?

Now I have a long journey ahead of me. I have to wake up every single day knowing the third book isn’t out yet but I also wake up knowing I have a day less to wait.

Kelly don’t make the wait long. Please. I beg of you. I am trying to maintain a positive attitude about the wait or else I’ll break. Please don’t mess with my poor broken heart.


2 comments:

  1. I read the first on in this series, and really liked it. I have been trying to get eh second for forever from my library. I It sounds so good too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until next year because I think thats when the last book is coming out. The ending to this one is incredibly heart wrenching.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...