Friday 11 April 2014

(OLD) Mini-reviews: Daddy Long Legs and Mine to Possess

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
Series: Daddy-Long Legs #1
Release Date: January 1st, 1912 (First published)
Publisher: Puffin (of my copy)

If anyone ever asked me to recommend a classic, this is what I would recommend. I love what I've read by Jane Austen but this, THIS is truly a timeless story. Almost a century later after it was first published I find myself relating to this young girl. Her story comes to life for me through her letters to Daddy Long Legs.

Sitting here, writing this, I can most definitely say that this book lived up to everything I had hoped it would.

I didn't actually know this book existed until quite recently and as soon as I read the summary, I KNEW this book was something I would love. When I got my hands on a copy 2 months ago, I decided to read it at a rather slow pace. I read around a letter a day and sometimes I'd skip days too until today, when I decided I really did want to finish this and finish it I did.

I have no idea how to put how I feel about this book in words because truly, I am mesmerized by her story. I feel so elated and happy that I all I want to do is sing and dance and imagine how everything will work out afterwards, how their story will carry on.

Judy is just such a wonderful character, she is funny, strong and so full of life and her story is wonderful.

I am obviously going to fail at writing something coherent so I am just going to go back and re-read certain things ;)

If you haven't read this, please, go read it.


Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling #4
Release Date: February 5th 2008
Publisher: Berkley






This image is perfect for Tally (who is totally unworthy of that name. I am sorry but Tally from Uglies was so awesome). She is so goddamn ANNOYING. She constantly whines, is incredibly possessive and cannot seem to make up her goddamn mind. Does she want him to be her friend or her lover? MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Grr. Yes I know she had a traumatized childhood and all that jazz but I don't understand her behavior. I know she is scarred but no. If I remember correctly she got a degree in psych or something along those lines so shouldn't she at least rationally try to understand the root of her mental scars, to at least try to understand it wasn't her fault? Even if the irrational side of her refuses to let go, shouldn't the rational side of her have some sort of understanding? I just don't understand her. At all. She has got to be one of the most annoying female leads I've encountered.

Clay wasn't all that much better. He was obsessive to the extent that scared me. Before you point out his animal instincts and what not, I didn't feel the same way about Lucas, his possessiveness was still within bounds, Clay's possessiveness goes beyond 'acceptable'. I felt like he was objectifying her. Making her seem like some sort of possession instead of human.

The romance between the two made me yearn for a normal romance. I am getting tired of all the angst out there. Why cannot we just have a book where two people are already in a healthy and loving relationship and have to deal with other problems that don't concern romance? *sigh* That's probably asking for too much.

This book, despite some of my major issues with it, was still enjoyable. I was not a huge fan of the characters but the world is so interesting. I cannot help but enjoy it in spite of everything.






3 comments:

  1. I have never read Daddy-Long-Legs. WORSE--I have never even HEARD of Daddy-Long-Legs *cowers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read Daddy Long Legs but I have seen an old anime based on it! It is a classic though so I should check it out.

    I do love the Psy-Changeling series but Mine to Possess is my least favorite of them all...I just didn't connect well with Tally. I think its because even though she's human, she was overly emotional, very fickle and weak. Great reviews Rashika :) hope you're doing well on your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a couple of people who love DLL but I'd never heard of it until they mentioned it, so I bought the Kindle version but am yet to read it :)


    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...