Monday 18 November 2013

Mini Reviews: The Boy Next Door, Beg for Mercy, Slammed

The Boy Next Door by Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees
Release Date: February 7th, 2002
Publisher: The Random House Group
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository



Even with the bad writing style and the bland narration style, this story somehow managed to captivate me. I fell in love with this book. 

I ended up buying this book on whim. The reviews hadn't been particularly hopeful and neither had the rating but I've always been a sucker for second chance romances so I ended up ordering this. At first I was sure I had made a bad choice, the writing style grated on my nerves and I was skimming some sentences. There was too much thinking and not enough doing. Both the characters sounded exactly the same to me. 

Yet as I read on and started getting used to the voice I saw how brilliantly the authors had crafted these characters and their story. You could see how far along they had come from their teenager years to adulthood. They had really matured and developed and it was actually fun comparing and contrasting them to their past selves. Especially Mickey, Mickey as a teenager did not appeal to me, she was annoying and a little too 'loud'. As an adult though, with everything that life had thrown at her, she had become so mature and it didn't seem unbelievable. The authors pulled it off. The same with the pulled off Fred's character. His own internal conflict. It worked. Everything about this story worked. It was wonderful and exactly what I needed, and I am so glad I read it. 




Beg for Mercy by Jami Alden
Series: Dead Wrong #1
Release Date:  June 1st, 2011
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository



This book had a couple of minor issues which would normally have bugged the hell out of me but in the end I actually ended up enjoying this book.

The female lead is a pretty pretty character (thats my extremely unique term for characters who are ridiculous gorgeous, like model gorgeous, and you know, if they are model gorgeous what are they doing in the real world? :P). But what I like about her isn't one of those idiotic females who don't realize it. She didn't think of herself in terms of ugly and pretty. Which made me as a reader, extremely happy. It helped me deal with all these guys who were in love with her. She was such a determined character too. The fact that the first thing on her mind wasn't romance but saving her brother was something I definitely enjoyed.

The fact that Cole wasn't a pretty pretty character helped me get over some of the other flaws. The author didn't describe him as someone every girl drooled over. She actually added depth to his character. He has his faults and he lives with a lot of guilt. He isn't even close to perfect. But it works. The fact that the Megan didn't get all jealous of girls who were in his presence helped as well. Although Cole could go over the top with his jealousy and that did bother me some. 

The murderer was obvious right of the bat. It wasn't even the 'I am pretty sure it's him' kind of obvious, it was the 'I KNOW IT'S HIM so let's just get this over with obvious'. Yes this annoys me. I am fed up of murderers being ridiculously obvious. I want to be able to use my brain in figuring this stuff out. Or even better, not know at all until the end. Sometimes I don't like the predictability even if it makes me feel smart. Sometimes I just want good suspense. But with that said, I actually liked how the author played out this murderer. We got to learn his back story and it helped us understand him better as a character.


This book was a fun read but I don't think I can be bothered to go on with the series. Maybe later. 


Slammed by Colleen Hoover
Series: Slammed #1
Release Date:  January 5th, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository



(This is free verse and will probably suck but since this book has tons of poetry in it, I thought it would be cool.)

I started this book
but not with much hope.
For I knew I would be lead down the same road
where the book screamed that it was different 
yet in then end it was just like the others.
the others that let me down.

It told the story of a girl who lost a father
a girl who thought she was special
but she wasn't. not really
she was the same old mary sue
the girl who whined about the wrong things.
a girl who didn't have a backbone.

It told the story of a boy who had lost everything
yet he stayed to take care of his brother
you would think you could like him
but it was all a lie
for he was the same old cheesy bastard
"it's not you it's me"

This book tried to tell us it was different
when in fact it was not
it was just a big humble jumble 
of tons of problems
both relationship and life
and it taught me nothing
except that I really should 
read something else.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...