Tuesday 1 October 2013

Mini Reviews: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill and Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier


Title: Some Girls Bite
Author: Chloe Neill
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #1
Publisher: NAL Trade
Date Published: April 7, 2009
This book probably deserves more than the 2.5 I gave it but then again it was somewhere between okay and likeable for me. I am not a fan of vampire books, I have my reasons of course and I am trying to reconnect with vampires because otherwise I am going to be avoiding a lot of books and then eventually I’ll run out of books to read and then I’ll die.
The only vampire series I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed was the Vampire Academy. I was actually surprised by how good the world building was in this book but it couldn’t overlook my issues with the book. The main character was awesome but I hated how she was obsessed with Ethan. I do NOT like Ethan. I like Morgan and she doesn’t really spare him a second glance. I also dislike her best friend. She is supportive and what not but it seems like she is more obsessed with the idea of her best friend being a vampire than anything else. Also it annoys me that she doesn’t realize that Merit is moving out because of her. It really pissed me off because you know you both share the house dammit and she also needs her sleep, go to his house if you plan on staying awake (no I am not going to say it). One of the things that bothered me about the world building was that why are the vampires only in Chicago? What’s so special about Chicago? Yeah.. that didn’t make sense to me at all.
I believe that this book would probably appeal to everyone but if you cannot overlook certain things then you are going to have a hard time enjoying it, just like I did.



Title: Ruby Red
Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: The Ruby Red Trilogy #1
Publisher: Henry Holt
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Buy: Amazon
Damn these Germans can write, first Cornelia and now Kerstin.
I don’t think I’ve read a time travel book this good. Mostly you would come across time travel romances but this book isn’t about the romance, it’s about the mystery and time travel.
Everything is so well developed. From the relationships to the plot to the ending. The ending is good but the epilogue is worth dying for. Plus there isn’t a cliff hanger although the Epilogue does leave you rather excited (dying) for the sequel.
The only problem I had was Gideon. I kind of dislike him. He is the pretty boy, the boy who thinks it’s alright to act like a jerk and treat people like shit, sure there are good sides to him and he has his own sob story (well it isn’t that sad but you get the point) but I hate it when guys be jerks for no real reason.
This book blew my mind and is so damn original. Time travel, secret societies, lies, evil mind readers, sarcastic main characters, what else can a girl want?
I recommend this book to everyone who is looking for something unique.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...