Tuesday 1 October 2013

Mini Reviews: Every Day, Every Other Day, The Dreamer

Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Series: Every Day #1
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Publisher: Knopf Books
Buy: Amazon

This book is powerful. I think that’s the best way to describe it. I cannot say I loved it because even though I did there were things that stopped me from loving it the way it should have been loved. 

That sounds weird doesn’t it? It’s complicated. 

A is officially one of my all-time favorite characters. His/Her’s voice is one of the most unique ones I’ve encountered and had A not been who he/she was, I probably would not have enjoyed it one bit. You see A tends to get a little philosophical and had he/she been a normal 16 year old, you might have wondered what normal 16 year old talked like that. A is definitely not normal and for all we could know, A is not even human. 

Rhiannon on the other hand was not a character I could come to love. She is supposed to be this kind person yet she doesn’t seem so kind when it comes to A. I know that it’s difficult to adjust to the whole idea of A being someone else every day but at least she could try to reel in her discomfort. 
I think the main reason I cannot give this a higher rating is because we know what goes on with A but we don’t know why. The WHY matters to me. The science geek in me wants explanations. This is such a unique concept and not knowing WHY it happens kills me.

The ending is bittersweet. The bitter part doesn’t affect me too much because it involves Rhiannon and well I wasn’t particularly attached to her. I really do wish there was a sequel though. There is so much potential for a sequel but I know the likelihood of that happening is rather low. I am really glad I read this book though. It was. I don’t know how to summarize my reading experience because I am rather speechless at the moment but this is a read I’d definitely recommend. 

Edit: Turns out there will be a sequel







Title: Every Other Day
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Release Date: December 27th, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Buy: Amazon

This was an interesting read but definitely not the best thing out there. 

The best thing about this book was the main character, Kali’s, voice. It is neither too serious nor too light. It makes the book fun to read. Kali herself, if not the best, is a good main character. She isn’t too angsty but there is a touch of it in the background and she isn’t particularly stupid. 

The world this book is set in was somewhat unique, we’ve seen some of this but it’s a new spin on it. Although I don’t think the world building is strong as I would have liked it to have been. There are so many questions one could ask. 

The secondary characters are well developed but the development of relationships between them and Kali is lacking. I didn’t understand her relationship with a couple of characters.

I went into this book looking for a light read after reading Every Day and it worked right up until near the end. Talk about heartbreak. 

There could be a sequel but I am not sure I would want to read it, I have my reasons of course, but that is not to say I didn’t enjoy this book. It was a rather fun read and something new in the paranormal genre.






Title: The Dreamer
Author: Pam Munoz Ryan, Peter Sis
Release Date: April 1st, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Buy: Amazon

I just finished the book and I am still trying to wrap my mind around this wonderful piece of work I just read.
The only thing I can think of right now is.. How is this book for middle grade readers? 

This book has so much sorrow in it, it hurts but it also has so much hope. The innocence of our main character and how he doesn't want to give up on his dream, its so touching and heart wrenching at the same time.

Pam Munoz (sorry I cannot do the accent on the n) is one of my favorite childhood authors and when I found out about this book I immediately added it to my list, it took a long time for me to actually read it though. The last time I read one of her works, I was in 6th grade. I didn't think years later, the last year before I was going to journey off into the world of the mature adults, that I'd read something by her. But here I am... sitting and just trying to digest everything I just read.

This woman has the power to pack so much emotion into such a short book. I think I keep on repeating the same thing again and again but I just cannot put enough emphasis on how powerful this book is. 

Reading it at this age, I can see the many layers she puts into her works.. I feel like I should read all of the other ones I've read just to see if it would be the same.

There is nothing I can say that would justify this book so I won't but believe me it's absolutely worth it. 







1 comment:

  1. A is... we don't know what he/she is. I found out there is going to be a sequel so I do hope we find out more in the next book :D

    The first book I ever bought was by her so she is a rather special author for me ;) Thanks for stopping by Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...