Monday 30 September 2013

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Title: Unspoken
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date Published: September 13, 2012
Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary

Kami Glass is in love with someone she’s never met – a boy the rest of the world is convinced is imaginary. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she doesn’t complain. She runs the school newspaper and keeps to herself for the most part – until disturbing events begin to happen. There has been screaming in the woods and the dark, abandoned manor on the hill overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. As Kami starts to investigate for the paper, she finds out that the town she has loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets- and a murderer- and the key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy who everyone thought was imaginary may be real…and he may be dangerous.

I went into this book thinking it was going to be a romance. I mean  with that summary there isn’t anything else you are going to think. This is why I get pissed at goodreads summaries from time to time. They make so many of the books sound more romantic than they actually are. I could make a list of all the books I was tricked into thinking were overly romantic and didn’t want to read. No. I do like romances but I don’t like reading a book that is focused primarily on the romance (unless you count chic lits but I don’t read them THAT often, only when I need to chill). I like books with amazing plots. This book had one. I don’t think saying this book blew my mind is enough, it would have blown my mind if I had high expectations, I had low expectations because I went into the book thinking it was primarily a romance, to say it blew my mind is understating what it did to me.

I thought  Kami would be a pathetic love sick teenager. I was so far of the mark it’s not even funny. She is one of my all time favorite female leads. She is hard working, dedicated, loyal and absolutely hilarious. This book had the whole gothic feel to it, yet it was also light because of Kami’s humor.

I admire Kami for not letting other people's opinions influence her own. She hears horrible things about Jared and even when everybody tells her to stay away from him she doesn’t. How could she when she knows him better than everyone else? 
Even WHEN she doubts him she sticks by him because how could she not?

Oh yeah and umm yes I suck but one of the best things about this book was Jared. I am absolutely in love with him. It’s so funny how he is scared to touch her, It annoyed me when I was reading the book but now I am just like.. oh Jared. Yes a lot of people are annoyed with Jared’s behavior at the end of the book. I was sad about it but I get why he did it. Throughout most of the book I just wanted to cuddle with him and slap him mom for being such a bitch (yes I am swearing but I really hated his mother, any other word would be too nice for her). What kind of mom tries to convince other people that her son is not worth saving? If you don’t want to bloody care for him don't try to stop other people at least!
Now back to the story. The plot is awesome as I mentioned early on. I actually had no idea what paranormal creatures this book involved so when I did find out I was surprised. I am glad I got to be surprised about that one thing because, you know, being surprised is fun. If you went into the book knowing everything then what would be the point?
I loved the mystery behind the Lynburns but oh my god, THAT ENDING! Why the hell did I have to read this book so soon after it released? Now all I have is snippets from the sequel to survive on and even those aren’t good enough. They break my heart.
I am counting down the days to the sequel and also even if it does have a love triangle I am going to read it because the first book was  THAT bloody awesome. No I don’t want one. I don’t want one so bad it hurts. BUT I will read it nevertheless because of Jared.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...