Monday 30 September 2013

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins


Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Published: May 1, 2012
Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary:
Embrace the Forbidden
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


I wasn’t sure what to make of this book when I saw it. That’s why it took me a while to get around to it. I am not a big fan of books about angels or nephilim for that matter. I don’t know what made me decide to give it shot, perhaps the pretty cover (yes I am a sucker for pretty covers, they always trick me into reading books I wouldn’t normally read)? All I can say is that I am glad I did.
It’s a rather unique one, this one. I am not sure what makes it unique but it’s been a while since I’ve read it and I still don’t hate it. Must be something.
From the summary it seems like the whole good girl bad boy cliché thing but the characters are so much more than a cliché.
Anna is good because her mom raised her that way, she is going to be tempted by her demon side but because her human mom was warned of this, her human mom raised her in the best way possible, insuring she wouldn’t give in to the temptation.
Kaidan isn’t bad, nor is a he guy with any particular daddy issues. He does what he has to. Like the way Anna has been raised to overlook her temptation, Kaidan was raised to give in to it everytime. He wants things to be different from time to time because sometimes his dad crosses the line with the kind of women he sets Kai up with, but he couldn’t change things even if he wanted to. He would have to go up against a strong force and rebelling would leave him dead. It’s probably wise not to cross lines that would leave you dead.
The plot itself was also intriguing. To learn about her real father and being introduced to the whole world of demons. It was quite the ride. Then there are also the issues between Anna and Kaidan, I like the way she doesn’t throw herself at him, it isn’t because of her pride or anything, she understands why he is doing what he does. She doesn’t agree with it because that isn’t what she wants but she understands it. Kaidan doesn’t act like a douchebag for no reason using the excuse of trying to save both of themselves to get away with it. He gives her an explanation because she deserves one. So many guys I’ve seen in YA do that and think it’s okay to act like a douchebag saying it’s because they want to protect the girl. Well how about giving her an explanation, ever thought of that?
The book didn’t exactly end on a cliffhanger.  It ended on a rather bittersweet note, leaving us wanting more but not killing us with anticipation. I think everyone who loved the book would have come back for seconds without a cliffhanger, I am certainly eager. Between now and getting my hands on the sequel, I am counting down the days.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...