Monday 30 September 2013

Mini Reviews: Also Known As by Robin Benway and Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

Title: Also Known As
Author: Robin Benway
Publisher: Bloomsbury Juvenile US
Date Published: February 26, 2013

Buy: Amazon

 “This just means so much to me! I’d like to thank all the little people that I crushed on my way to the top” (funny random quote I wanted to add)
What caught my attention about this book was the fact that this girl was the daughter of spies. I’ve always wondered what it’s like to be a spy. I blame this on my childhood obsession with the Spy Kids.  I knew that this was going to be a light and funny read, from the reviews I had read, and that was just what I needed.
I went into this book not looking for much so it isn’t surprising that I was indeed very happy with this book at the end.
The characters were well formed and I never thought of them as flat. Margret is a very fun character to read and very relatable even if you aren’t a spy (I still want to be one, maybe I can apply at the Collective). The relationships were rather interesting as well, the only thing I didn’t like was how the I Love You’s came out of nowhere. I wasn’t per say surprised, just that they didn’t seem like the couple who indulged in I Love You’s.
The plot is fast paced but there isn’t much of it, I was hoping that we would get to learn more about spy life and why her family was banned from Luxembourg but oh well.
I recommend this book to people who aren’t looking for much, there won’t be any surprises or anything. It’s just an entertaining read.



Title: Angel Burn
Author: L.A. Weatherly
Series: Angel #1
Publisher: Candlewick
Date Published: September 30, 2010
Buy: Amazon
This book is a perfect example of a good idea gone wrong. I loved how the Angels are evil and when I say evil, I don’t mean it lightly but like Angels who don’t give a shit about humans and treat them like cattle. It’s so different from what you would usually find in other Angel books, where Angels tend to be good. Kind of like in Angelfall but in this case it’s a choice. In Angelfall the Angels are required to destroy Earth by a higher power so yeah but in this case they take great pleasure in their treatment of humans. I love how this book makes it seem more like that Angels are creatures from another dimension instead of the whole religious aspect (that gets annoying from time to time).
I could have and would have given this book more stars if the romance wasn’t so damn corny! When there were more important things going on, the only thing going on the minds of these two were how much they loved each other. SERIOUSLY? I like romance but hell I don’t enjoy love declarations within knowing each other for a few days. That gets on my nerves. It isn’t realistic. Life cannot revolve around one person. It doesn’t work that way.
Aside from that it has also come to my notice that the sequel has a love triangle so I won’t be continuing the series. If you make love declarations to one person what the hell are you doing with another?
I recommend this book to everyone who can put overlook the silly romance because it does happen to be a good book, the writing is great and so are the characters (when they aren’t swooning over one another) and the plot is really good.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...