Monday 30 September 2013

Finding Sky by Joss Stirling


Title: Finding Sky
Author: Joss Stirling
Series: Benedicts #1
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Date Published: October 7, 2010
Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary
When Sky catches a glimpse of Zed for the first time, lounging against his motorbike at school, she is drawn to him just like every other girl in Wickenridge. But Zed sees something special in her that the other girls don’t have. Zed tells her they are both Savants – people with special powers like telepathy and the ability to see into the future. Not only that, she is a Savant too, and his soulfinder – meant to be together.
When a soulfinder speaks telepathically to her partner, it’s like all the lights coming on in a building. You lit me up like Vegas. But for Sky it’s just not that easy – she’s a mystery to herself, haunted by nightmares from her past before she was adopted, and riddled with doubt and insecurity. Just when Sky is slowly coming round to the idea of being with Zed she is kidnapped by a family of criminal Savants. In a chilling twist, Sky and Zed’s relationship is put to the ultimate test and the fate of those she loves lie in Sky’s hands. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the dark demons of her past prevent her from realising her true potential?


The only reason I didn’t give it a 5 was because I wish there had been more of a plot. It’s more of a book about self discovery and well I was hoping they would use their powers to you know, save the day or something.

But this book is everything I wanted from Significance and more. It portrayed the whole concept of “soul mates” in a better way and I had a soft spot for our main character. I love how she isn’t struck down by Zed, she sees him as someone that she can secretly fantasize about and is perfectly content with that. I also love all the funny ways she describes Zed.


"I hummed an ironic little exit tune, imagining them both leaping into the skies as they departed from the sight of us mere mortals.”
"Wolfman turning into puppy-carrying-slippers?"


I also love the star wars references which she uses to describe her friends (being a huge Star Wars fan)


Sky also happens to be the kind of person who won’t just accept what she is told. Like the first time Zed told her that she was a savant.


" ‘Sky, you can’t ignore this!’ He stood under the street lamp, sleet settling in his hair, hands fisted at his side. ‘You’re mine—you have to be.’
‘No. I. Don’t.’ "


I was so happy when I read this scene because it proved that Sky wouldn’t be those stupid females that believe everything the guy tells them, that they need proof.


Zed may seem like a bad guy and later we learn the reason behind his behavior. I actually loved Zed in their relationship, he was the cute one, while Sky was a bit more realistic. I think they made the cutest pair ever and I was always grinning when reading their rather cute scenes. Zed may be overprotective, but I don’t mind it because his reasons seem legit and he isn’t controlling because as we can see Sky doesn’t listen to him.


I didn’t think the book would be this good but I was amazed by how much I loved it.


I reread the scenes from it when I feel bad and I recommend this book to everyone because its light and lovable and it’s fluffy. The perfect read after a string of sci fic, fantasy and dystopian novels, the hard stuff can wear you down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...