Monday 30 September 2013

Angelfall by Susan Ee


Title: Angelfall
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Date Published: June 14, 2011
Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


It’s been a while since I’ve read this. This does NOT mean that I forgot what happened in it. This is not the sort of book that you can just forget. It doesn’t happen. Sometimes I wanna bang my head on a wall for not reading this earlier. I have preconceived ideas about books dealing with Angels. I’ve read too many that fail to amaze and leave me wanting to burn the book so when I saw all the amazing reviews for this, it got to me. I know a lot of people agree that there are too many angel books out there that are absolute crap. So I wondered what would be different about this one. The idea of the book, despite that it dealt with angels, was rather original. A post apocalyptic world with Angels. I usually like post apocalyptic novels (as long as they are not dealing with zombies)so I decided to give this a read.
I went in not expecting much. Just the usual. I was so surprised by how awesome this book was. Like so freaking surprised. It even made it to my favorites list for last year. That’s how much it impressed me. I mean someone who isn’t that into Angels loving an Angel book so much is rather ironic isn’t it? No this didn’t change my mind about Angel books in general though. Most of them still suck.

But I guess the thing about this one is that it isn’t ABOUT angels, it involves them yes, but it isn’t about Angelic mythology or their origins and all that jazz. It’s about the post apocalyptic world and how angels are destroying it.

I also feel awkward about human/angel relationships. They usually piss the hell out of me because they have the whole insta feel to it. My question is How does an angel fall in love with a human all of a sudden? They’ve been around forever, how come it’s one human who catches their attention? It’s pathetic. Like this one book I read it was “love at first site” aka, you are so beautiful so I am in love with you.
This book however beats the system once again. Rafe’s and Penryn’s relationship is one of my favorites. It has a lot of time to develop. It changes over time and the process is SO MUCH FUN to watch. They aren’t people who are attracted to each other and denying it like pathetic idiots. There is an ACTUAL change in their opinions and it amazes me how the author pulls it off. You see why Rafe would fall in love with this chic. Hell if I were Rafe I would probably be in love with Penryn as well. But since I am not, I get to be hopelessly in love with Rafe. Oh Rafe where did you come from? You have droven me crazy. Every day since I’ve finished this book I yearn for the second so I can be with you once again. I won’t say much about the characters except both of them are Kickass and Hilarious. They have rather similar personalities and goals that they are out to achieve.

I don’t even know why I attempted to try to explain why I love this book so much. It’s too hard. I love EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT THIS DAMN BOOK! It’s freaking amazing. I was actually surprised it was self published.

Also because I am cool I am going to add some hilarious quotes, if they don’t convince you to read this book, I don’t know what will.


“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you’re going to get stuck trying to walk between two tress. And then, I’ll have to rescue you.” I give him a weary look. “Again.” 
“The next time you have a quarrel with me, I’d appreciate it if you could just talk to me first before resorting to pelting me with rocks.” 
“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?” 
Last one. If it were up to me, I’d put up the whole book so I should stop.
“You’re like a little girl demanding answers to questions during a covert operation. Why is the sky blue, daddy? Can I ask that man with the machine gun where the bathroom is? If you don’t stay quiet, I’m going to have to dump you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...