Thursday 4 July 2013

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)Title: The Name of the Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series: Shades of London
Publisher: HarperCollins
Date Published: September 29, 2011
Buy: Amazon

Goodreads summary 

The day that Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school is also the day a series of brutal murders breaks out over the city, killings mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper spree of more than a century ago. Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him--the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target. In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.




What is not to love about this book? It has some romance, it’s scary, it’s about ghosts, and it has Jack the Ripper!!! This is a perfect book for me it has everything I could possibly need. The story was great, the characters were good and did I mention it was about Jack the Ripper? 
I haven’t read any of Maureen Johnson’s books and by the look of them I don’t think I will not my kind of scene, unless someone can persuade me. I need something that will keep me interested in the book long enough for me to fall in love with it and this book has done it, I really didn’t know what to expect, but I wasn’t expecting this. 
Damn she did her research about London and about the facts, I know a lot about Jack the Ripper and 1888 and damn she was right, and there were something’s that I didn’t even know. I live near London and not that I know the place well or anything but the detail in the description? I think it was more or less spot on, and the boarding school? As soon as it was described I went on Google to see if it was a real place and if hopefully it would have a place for me sadly it isn’t, or it’s so well hidden I couldn’t find it whatever the case may be I badly wanted to go to that school. 
A couple of little things that bugged me though, was the romance it was really disappointing, they weren’t even dating and they just kissed and the author didn’t even want to share the details of it, like in all of the other books I’ve read. Another thing, sure I guess this book could be fine just being a novel and not having a trilogy it had a start and an end but hey I will be first in line at the store waiting for this book and I guess there could be quite a bit to write about now. 
All together the book was great, the story was great, Jack the Ripper was great, everything was just great. 




                                                        My kitty stealing my amazing book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...