Monday 29 July 2013

Prophecy Girl by Cecily White


Title: Prophecy Girl
Author: Cecily White
Series: Angel Academy #1
Publisher: Entangled
Date Published: April 2, 2013

Buy: Amazon
Goodreads Summary
Amelie Bennett. . . . Ending the world, one prophecy at a time.
I was born to slay Crossworld demons. 
Big black flappy ones, little green squirmy ones. Unfortunately, the only thing getting slain these days is my social life. With my high school under attack, combat classes intensifying, and Academy instructors dropping right and left, I can barely get my homework done, let alone score a bondmate before prom.
Then he shows up. 
Jackson Smith-Hailey. Unspeakably hot, hopelessly unattainable, and dangerous in all the right ways. Sure, he’s my trainer. And okay, maybe he hates me. Doesn’t mean I’ll ignore the wicked Guardian chemistry between us. It’s crazy! Every time I’m with him, my powers explode. Awesome, right? 
Wrong. 
Now my teachers think I’m the murderous Graymason destined to bring down our whole race of angelbloods. Everyone in New Orleans is hunting me. The people I trusted want me dead. Jack and I have five days to solve the murders, prevent a vampire uprising, and thwart the pesky prophecy foretelling his death by my hand. Shouldn’t be too difficult. 
Getting it done without falling in love. . . that might take a miracle.

No No No. This book is not for me. There are people who will love it but I am not one of them. I think the main reason I requested this book was out of nostalgia of Vampire Academy. Vampire Academy happens to be one of my all-time favorite series-this is coming from someone who despises vampires and well finishing it made me incredibly sad because such a wonderful and original piece of work is hard to come across these days. Proof right here about that.
This book happens to be a mix between The Covenant series (which again was a total copy of Vampire Academy) and Vampire Academy. This book mostly angered me. It’s like publishers don’t even care about readers anymore, they just want to find ways to make things sell so they resell an idea everyone originally loved. I don’t want that! In the beginning most of my anger came out of my loyalty to Vampire Academy but as the book progressed I started losing my cool. Everything started to annoy me.
I as a reader expect a lot more. I want originality in books. Is that too hard to ask? Is it too much to not want to read the exact same thing over and over? The Covenant series happens to be an exact copy of Vampire Academy (not even kidding) but somehow I didn’t despise it as much as this so something must have gone wrong. Well many things gone wrong.
For starters, the ‘I Love You’s’ happen within 5 days of meeting each other. I DON’T CARE IF YOU ARE BONDED damnit!  That’s too insta for me and insta love and I.. we don’t go together (unless it is done right which happens so rarely I am not even going to mention it).
Jack is always keeping secrets from her. What is up with that? One of the reasons I loved VA was because of Dimitri and Rose’s relationship. They don’t keep secrets, they help each other figure things out, that’s why they always freaking survive. Maybe these two could learn from them, it would make their life a lot easier.
Speaking of Jack the one thing I liked about him was that he wore glasses, yes I know this is very random but I felt the need to point it out. It made me realize that heroes in YAs (and adult) never wear glasses. What is up with that? Glasses can be hot too. Don’t try to sell me a book by making a hot guy. Please. I am not that shallow (okay maybe just a little bit but you know I don’t read a book for a hot guy, I read it for good characters and good plot lines).
Jack also happens to be a douchebag in my opinion. I don’t understand half of his reactions. Maybe he is bi polar. I don’t know. I don’t understand how he can be so rude in the beginning and then say the things he says (I cannot say them because it’s right near the end and I cannot spoil stuff).
Now our main character, what’s her name again? *goes to look it up* Amelie. She can be so stupid it hurts. There is this one scene where she has a concussion and lies to the doctor. *face palm* I am sure even Rose (who did make some pretty bad choices) wasn’t that stupid. Does she not realize how dangerous a concussion can be? You wanna kick some butt? It might help if you can see straight.  Oh and to add to that somehow the symptoms magically vanished (maybe she performed some spell I overlooked). No sign, after she leaves the doctor’s there is not much mention of the injury except that she looks awful.
Her relationship with her dad is super awkward. I mean for the beginning half of the book all she can do is point out his mistakes. Oh did you guys know that she started cooking when she was 8? She made dinner. Uh huh. She is so bad ass. I remember when I was 8 all I could do was make a cup of tea but this girl? She fed herself and her father. *nods head* although I do remember I could barely reach the stove so I wonder how she managed but then she is an angel so she probably used her wings (that she never mentioned) to do so.
Did I mention the awkward swear words? Monkey crud. It’s kind of cool but if someone ever used that I’d probably die of laughter. “Monkey crud! I dropped the hammer on my foot!”
The friends. Lisa was annoying, I mean here she has Matt but she breaks up with him over some stupid test stuff. How can she be so shallow? (I mean we get explanations later but since I cannot give them I’ll just zip it).
Katie was my favorite mostly because of her love for food.   Matt was actually my favorite male in the book but of course there isn’t much to be said about him because he is barely there in the book.
This book is also rather predictable and I despise the ending. I hate it when things like that happen. It may have something to do with the fact I am not a huge fan of vampires.
I am not trying to discourage readers here. I just have a low tolerance for clichés and unoriginality at the moment. Like a really low tolerance. I am sure there are people who will love this because there are some interesting things going on. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We appreciate it.
We'll come stop by your blog as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...